Startup in a Day
Startup in a Day - SBA FAQs (Details of Challenge requirements)
- FACT SHEET: The White House and Small Business Administration Launch Startup in a Day Initiative and Prize Competition - White House June 11, 2015
- Startup in a Day - SBA Initiatives, June 11, 2015
- White House, National League of Cities, Small Business Administration Launch Initiative to Help Entrepreneurs - National League of Cities, June 11, 2015
- Business startup in one day? Washington and KC peel away the red tape - KC Star, June 11, 2015
- KC joins White House in “Startup in a Day” effort - Startland News, June 11, 2015
- KC accepts 'Startup in a Day' challenge - Business Journal, June 11, 2015
Public Engagement & Social Media:
Kansas City, Missouri Initiatives:
Forming partnerships with current and new entrepreneur support organizations (ESO) and government agencies:
- Missouri Secretary of State's KC Office
- UMKC Innovation Center/KCSourcelink
- KC Digital Drive
- Hispanic Economic Development Corporation
- UMKC Law School
- Code For America Brigade
Kansas City, Missouri is “
Our cities and communities are committed to making it easier for every entrepreneur to start a business. We believe an entrepreneur’s time is best spent developing innovative products and services, creating jobs, and growing local economies—not navigating red tape. While fair zoning rules, licenses, and permits are important to ensuring public safety and fair competition, it should not take more than a day for an entrepreneur to identify and apply, ideally through a single online tool, for all the licenses and permits they need in order to responsibly launch a business. Accordingly, we resolve to:
Challenge 1. Create a “Startup in a Day” online tool by the end of 2015: By the end of this year, we will develop a website or application that lets most entrepreneurs identify and apply within one day for all the regulatory approvals needed to launch a business in our respective communities.
- Quick Tax - Finance Department's is the online system taxpayers may use to file tax returns, make payments, register a business, view and make changes to their accounts with the City and view notices and letters sent by the City.
KCBizCare - Kansas City, Mo.'s Business Customer Service Center provides our customers with information and assistance in understanding and complying with City, state and federal requirements for operating a business.
- KCBizCare Intern and City Communications are creating a short video outlining the fact that most entrepreneurs can walk into the office today and leave with a business license within one hour. Also, looking at preparing a video that shows that entrepreneurs can meet with KCBizCare Business Advocates today and find out all of the requirements they will need to meet in order to become licensed with all City departments.
- HIghlight KCBizCare Business Resource Guide
KCBizCareOnline tool - open source, online resource to help busy business owners and budding entrepreneurs navigate the business licensing regulations and steps required by city, state, federal agencies. KC BizCare Online helps business owners by providing a step-by-step guide to licensing a business including checklists, links and contact information for the agencies involved in various licensing processes.
- Working with City Communications and Luminopolis to get site up and running properly again 6-22-15
- Need to confirm we are meeting open source requirements of the challenge
- Startup in a Day Workshop - schedule at _______ on __________ (discussed with 1MC Facilitators)
- Include KCSourcelink in order to prepare entrepreneurs for entering business
Include County, State and Federal business requirements:
- Cass County Merchant License Requirements
- Doing Business in Clay County, Missouri
- Jackson County Business Personal Property Declaration
- Jackson County Economic Development
- Platte County Starting a Business
- Missouri Secretary of State Online Business Filings
- Federal Employee Identification Number (EIN) Online
Public Engagement with small business/startup entrepreneur community partners:
- SIAD Workshops (3 or 4 over Challenge period)
- mySidewalk Post 1 June 30, 2015
- Look at Boston Business Hub Licensing and Permitting Wizard and Salt Lake City's Business Licensing site.
- Partner with Boston on Open Counter?
Challenge 2. Develop a streamlined, business-friendly, online permitting system: Our pledge is a first step in a larger effort to streamline, simplify, and bring online those regulatory requirements that have traditionally been fragmented across multiple agencies and handled through a paper-based process. Our ultimate goal is for small business owners to be able to manage and complete most of their regulatory obligations within a single easy-to-use online system.
- Tyler Tech – Energov Enterprise Permitting System - http://investors.tylertech.com/ViewEmail.asp?b=499&id=139348&p=181988&I=469309-arom469309
- Propose integration of open source tool from Challenge 1 with the enterprise systems deployed in Challenge 2.
Challenge 3. Share best practices: In an effort to encourage other municipalities to join us in this effort, we are joining a community of practice administered by the National League of Cities, and commit to sharing best practices, publicizing key learnings, highlighting tangible outcomes, supporting smart regulatory simplification, and providing visibility into our actions.”
- Big Ideas for Small Business - http://www.nlc.org/find-city-solutions/city-solutions-and-applied-research/economic-development/small-business-and-entrepreneurship/big-ideas-for-small-business
- Big Ideas for Small Business Summit – Kansas City - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkpWFMOkeb6bzwkrrbhlmZsKAi-DeXSyT
- Urban Business Growth Initiative partnership with UMKC Innovation Center/KCSourcelink/SBTDC - http://info.umkc.edu/sbtdc/urban-growth-initiative-training-programs/?doing_wp_cron=1434042340.2100520133972167968750
Urban Business Growth Initiative presentation - https://youtu.be/rXOTd0US_YE
- Veterans Economic Community: Being an official participant in the Veterans Economic Communities Initiative. To view the list of participating cities, please go to http://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/20015/va-launches-campaign-increase-veterans-economic-potential/