Mobile City Ranking Survey
[Note: Survey was requested but didn't proceed due to lack of significant responses. KCMO has asked to be part of effort if it should pick up again]
sMOBILE CITY RANKING - SURVEY FOR CITY COUNCILS
Thank you for taking your time and answer our survey about the use of smartphones in your
city. Your contribution will be important for a better understanding of the use of smartphones
in cities. Gathering best practices and establishing the state of the art is a basic element in
policy design and justification.
Our aim is to publish the results of this survey widely not only among cities and smart city
networks but also in the general business press, including magazines such as Fast Company,
The Economist, Wall Street Journal and Financial Times.
This survey is structured in three parts: The first part is about access, trying to determine the
level of Internet access available in your city. The second part is about usage, trying to find if
smartphones are used for informational purposes, transactional or they are embedded in our
social life. Finally the third part is about creation, aiming at uncovering the extent that your
city is a place for app creation and mobile entrepreneurship.
We understand that some questions will be difficult to answer because the information could
not be readily available. Surveys that answered at least 75% of the questions will be
considered for the ranking (if needed we will contact you personally).
Thank you very much for your participation!
ESADE – Center for Innovation in Cities
Completed surveys are sent directly to the research team of ESADE Center for Innovation in Cities. Information about the result will only be provided in an aggregated format. Contact and further information If you have questions about the survey, please feel free to contact our research support team:
Your city is: (choose from the list)
Your name is:
Please, specify your position:
Part 1. Access
In this first part our goal is to gather information about the internet infrastructure in your city regarding mobile connection to internet.
1. What is the % of smartphone penetration in your city? (% of smartphone with access to internet per population)
2. To what extent there is 3G/4G coverage in your city? Please indicate the % of municipality surface with 3G/4G coverage.
3. Please, indicate the average download speed connection of 3G/4G smartphones connection in your city (in Mpbs)
4. How many free wifi spots exists in your city? Please indicate a number of spots.
5. Please indicate the % of free wifi coverage (the % of municipality surface with free wifi coverage) in the city.
6. Please, indicate the average speed connection of the free wifi in the city (in Mpbs)?
Part 2. Usage
In this second part, our interest is to understand how smartphones and, in particular, applications are used during citizen’s daily life in our city. For that reason we distinguish among three uses: to be informed, to buy or pay something (transaction), and finally general life (i.e leisure or networking).
7. What is the average number of apps installed per smartphone per inhabitant in your city?
8. Among the following topics, which are, in your opinion, the most used apps in your city?
Very Low Very High
News and information (Media Apps- newspaper, tv, radio)
Mobility and transportation
City apps (created by city council with info about the city)
Social Media/Social Networks
Finance/Mobile-banking/Commerce&Shopping Mobile Health 1 2 3 4 5
messages, meeting people
shared flats, shared rides, …
1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3 4 5
9. Could you specify which are the 5 apps most used in your city?
10. Could you specify which are the 5 most used public apps (related with public services and created by the city council) in your city?
11. Could you indicate the % of citizens that use mobility apps regularly (i.e Google maps or others) in your city?
12. Regarding social media apps (i.e Facebook, Twitter or others) could you indicate the 3 most used apps in your city?
13. Please, indicate the % of citizens that use social media apps regularly in your city?
14. Regarding mobile government, how many public services are available through mobile apps? Please indicate a number.
15. Regarding mobile government procedures carried out during 2014 by citizens, could you indicate the % of those carried out through mobile app?
16. Could you indicate how many public apps were created by the city council for the year 2014?
17. Could you indicate how many city council apps were downloaded by citizens in 2014?
18. Could you indicate how many users registered for the city council apps in 2014?
19. Could you indicate the number of active users (that have used the apps in the last 3 months) of those apps?
20. Regarding mobile banking, in your opinion how many citizens are registered and have access to mobile banking services through mobile in your city? (Please indicate a % of the population)
21. Indicate the % of registered citizens that regularly carry out banking procedures through mobile apps in your city.
22. During 2014, how many banking apps were downloaded in your city?
23. In 2014 to what extent transactions were done using m-banking apps? Please indicate the % of transactions done through mobile apps.
24. Regarding mobile health, how many mobile services (such as getting an appointment with the doctor or consulting medical records) are available through mobile apps in your city?
25. Among the total number of users of health services, please indicate the % of users of health services through mobile apps in your city :
26. Regarding mobile mobility, could you indicate to what extent the population use apps to book a cab and pay their rides through their a mobile app? Please indicate the % of users in your city.
2.3 Mobile life
In this category we mean the use of mobile apps for booking a table in a restaurant, or tickets for a show, but also apps for meeting people and getting in touch with them or sharing aspects such as rides, finding accommodation in shared flats with locals, among others uses. Therefore, here we include aspects of leisure apps, networking apps and sharing economy apps.
27. Regarding mobile life, and leisure apps in particular, how many citizens do you think use this type of apps? Please indicate the % of users (% of population) in your city of such apps.
28. Could you indicate the number of downloads for leisure apps, networking apps and sharing
economy apps for 2014 in your city?
- Number of downloads of leisure apps (restaurants, tickets, tourism, etc): ___
- Number of downloads of networking apps (meeting people in activities, chatting with people): ___
- Number of downloads for sharing economy apps (booking accommodation in shared flats with locals, sharing transportation and rides, etc): ___
Part 3. Creation and entrepreneurship
Finally, we would like to assess the creative environment in your city and the support provided to start-ups. In other words, to calibrate hoy creative is the environment in terms of mobile life.
29. How many apps were developed by companies or start-up based in your city in 2014?
30. How many new apps were downloaded in 2014 by citizens in your city?
31. How many active users (% of total users of mobile apps in the city) by average have those new apps?
32. How many apps competitions were organized in your city in 2014?
33. How many developers attended those apps competition?
34. How many co-working places are devoted to mobile developers and startups in your city?
3.2 Public support
35. How many data sets (from open data portals) are available for apps creation in your city?
36. Please indicate the number of apps created on the basis of open data sets during 2014 in your city:
37. How many city mobile accelerators programs fostered by the city council exist in you city?
38. How many developers and startups participated in mobile accelerators programs in 2014?
39. Could you indicate if the city council contributes to venture capital investment in start-up?
40. Could you specify the amount of money spent in 2014 from the city council oriented to fostering venture capital for start-up creation?
41. Could you specify the % of public budget allocated as venture capital for start-up creation for 2014?
42. How many projects related to mobile received money from crowdfunding in 2014 in your city?
43. How many people participated/gave money (donors, crowdfunders) through crowdfunding calls about apps creation projects last year (2014)?
44. What is the average amount of money that start-ups or apps project received from crowdfunding last year (2014)?
Thank you very much for your time. For more information, please check our website: